Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Butterfly Effect

I realized today that trifles can cause miracles.

Scene: Grocery store
Time: Late evening

I dragged my basket stuffed with food to the billing counter, and said the perfunctory "Hi!", with a smile. Just that, nothing excessive or effusive. The billing guy, a dapper middle-aged guy with snowy white hair, smiled back - a tired little curving of the lips. He added simply, "It's great to see a lovely smile like that especially at the end of a day. I appreciate it." Just words, but I could feel my face burn from the blood rushing to my cheeks. I flushed deeply, and murmured an embarassed "Thanks", inarticulately. As I left, I looked back and smiled at him again. I stepped out into the cold wind, feeling a lightleaded joy mingled with pride at having made someone so happy.
 
As I sit and put it down in words now, I realize that it was not I who brought him joy, but he who made me ecstatic. :) Ah, what a fool I am!  

No comments:

Post a Comment